Sparkol Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic
In Progress

What languages and fonts would you like to see?

With the arrival of v3.6 of VideoScribe, we have a whole new text and font system with more supported languages than ever before and inbuilt Google fonts... Find out more about this here.

This is just the start and we are keen to add to the range of fonts and languages available. We would love input on this from Scribers all over the world so please comment below with your suggestions and the more detail you can provide on why the font or language you need would be useful, the better! If you can include a link to the font from https://fonts.google.com/ as well that will make sure there is no confusion

Over to you... 

Edit 21/10/2020...

There have been a few common questions on this post so I thought I would add some FAQs to the initial post for all to see.

Why can't you add your own fonts anymore? 
There were a number of issues with fonts in v2-v3.5 which customers had been wanting to see improvements too for quite a while. The main ones were:
• Support More languages (we've added Arabic, Chinese Simplified, Japanese & Korean so far)
• Quality of the text (imported fonts were not HD and could be very fuzzy when zoomed in)
• Kerning issues
• Some fonts with longer tails on y's and j's would get cut off and look poor
To fix all these issues we had to add some boundaries to the fonts we were going to deal with in order to be able truly test each font and know that what you see is what you get when it comes to all those factors. This why we switched to GoogleFonts and why the initial deployment had 60 of their fonts available, there are plans to add more Google fonts and more languages over time. I understand some customers will not like this change but this is very much about providing a top quality finished video and a huge step forward in that regard.

What fonts support my language? 
We have a handy help page which shows all the fonts and which languages - Supported languages and fonts and this will be updated as and when new fonts/languages are added. We also have a blog post on the inital 60 fonts that shows examples of the options for the new languages - Choosing the best fonts for our supported languages

If a new language or font is requested, how long does it take to get it? 
The purpose of this forum is to help us gauge which languages and fonts will be popular. We have our own data on this such as where our customers are from or looking through the Google options to see styles that are not represented well in the original 60. So requesting a font or language here does not mean it will be in VideoScribe, it just means we will consider it when we are deciding what to add next. As the answer to the first FAQ here shows adding a new font, and especially a new language take a fair bit of time, effort and testing so you are not going to see these turned around quickly. We will be looking to add more and more over time but these are likely to be in small batches periodically instead of a regular steady stream. 

How can I increase the chances of my request being chosen? 
Details! If you just provide a font name we'll still consider it but understanding why you would like it will allow us to see the request through your eyes a lot more and fully understand your need and if it can apply to other people too. 

3 people like this idea

Hey D Solo, the quality of the old imported fonts was our issue as the fonts were fine it was just the conversion process to drawable characters that caused the quality issues. People also (rightly) blamed us for this. We made the change because kerning, lanuage support and font quality were some of the biggest requests we had. 

• Kerning was the 3rd biggest unimplemented feature request at the time. 
  • Arabic RTL and cursive was the 4th biggest
  • Hindi was the 6th and while that didn't work out at the first attempt we are about a week away from an update to support that

So this change implemented 3 of the top 10 things customers were asking for and a lot of other smaller things as well. It was also just the start with more high quality fonts and more languages on the way.

I believe from a post you made on another topic it's Tamil support you are after? That would not have been available in the older font engine either. You could only import Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Armenian, Hebrew and Arabic characters regardless of what the font contained. They would not have written right to left, or cursive either. 

I just need one font at this time which is Montserrat and also available on google fonts,

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Montserrat

Here is the link for that, it would be great if we had this font in Videoscribe,

There is a Montserrat alternative available in video scribe but not a simple Montserrat.

Hi, there,

I've been using Videosribe for more than 8 years now, so you can be confident that I'm a fan and regard it as a hugely useful tool in my business.

I'm fortunate in that I have maintained an earlier version of Videoscribe on my desktop but understand this may be withdrawn in the future.

Two of my major clients (who, together, account for approximately 80% of my whiteboard projects) both insist I use Felt Tip Roman in the animations I create for them. While I understand there is a workaround, whereby I can copy and paste from earlier projects, this is not ideal.

Clearly, I don't want to disappoint, upset or, worse, lose these clients, so it would be an enormous help to me if you were to include the Felt Tip Roman family in your next update.

Many thanks :)

Hello All. Some good news on the supported languages front. Hindi support has been relaunched and we've also made some big improvments to Arabic too

Upgrade to v3.9 of VideoScribe to give it a try. 

With regards the most recent requests

• Montserrat has been requested before so that's the 2nd request for this font and that'll help it's chances!
  • Felt Tip Roman is not a Google Font so we won't be considering that request 

So, to be clear, Barry, can we only request Google Fonts?

That's correct Ivan

Hello.  Could you install Montserrat (semi bold) if its not there already. Thank you

Hi,

Could you please add (MV Boli) font? It's available in Google Fonts.

Thank you very much

MV Boli is not a Google Font, it's a Microsoft font, there's just an external link out to it on the Google site

I would like some more "handwritten" type fonts but ones that are still highly readable, one of the following would be great 

Indie Flower, shadows into light, architects daughter, caveat, courgette, merienda, Marck script,

Thanks

Sandokhane - Thanks for those requests, that's the 2nd vote fo Cairo now.

Richard - Caveat & Courgette are already on the supported list, they were in the original 60. I've added the other to the request list and that's the 3rd request for Architects Daughter so that's got a good chance of being included in the next update.

Hello,

I would really need "Telegraf" as a font option. Is this font already planed? 

Thanks,

All the best.

Hello Larissa. You can only request Google Fonts (see https://fonts.google.com/).

Login to post a comment