Sparkol Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

Rendering SO FRUSTRATING

First I had an 11 min. video. it took over 7 hours to render 720 HD

I cut it down to 7 minutes. It took over 5 hours to render 720 HD

Cut it down to 4 1/2 minutes, let it run over night. checked computer this morning, it was hung on "processing audio" right where I left it the night before.

Cut it down to 4 minutes, First time trying render, after 3 hours I checked it and there was and "ERROR" rendering video.

Tried again... after 2 hours of rendering the video it finalized with the VideoScribe WATERMARK!  I'm a PAID subscriber.

I am trying one last time and if this fails then how do I get YOU to render this file for me. I DO NOT have time to sit her for hours and hours and hours!!

All that said, it took me 7 days to create a 3 1/2 minute video. Last night I was at it for 24 1/2 hours straight, no sleep, as my deadline was today! It would have been done in 1 hour IF you had a lock screen. because gosh forbid you try to move something on the screen the whole canvas moves and screws up alignment everywhere.

That wouldn't be so bad if you had a HIDE ALL, or HIDE the chosen frames... BUT NO... I have to go through every single frame, hide them all individually, find the ones that need to me adjusted and move each frame BACK to the correct position.  That takes hours.. AND IF i find a typo, or want to change something, I have to go back and hide each individual frame...and do the whole thing all over again. 

This is the MOST tedious, stressful, anxiety ridden program I have ever used!

Now that i'm done ranting, YOU NEED DOCUMENTATION!  This program is very expensive monthly, and it does not function well at all. 

I'm sadly disappointed.

1 person has this question
Hi,

(customer support works mon-fri during regular UK business hours. If you want them to render your video for you , save your work file online, tell them the name of it and then wait until Monday.)

There are tutorials on the INSTANT ANSWERS page that would probably help you to start with the basics  before trying more complicated techniques.

Here's a list of tips to prevent lockups, freezing and failure to render.

If you have specific questions,be sure to ask them.

It sounds like you are doing a number of things, like stacking images, that will cause you unnecessary trouble and extra work. Save your work as a .scribe file and attach it here if you want feedback from users about what you could be doing better.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

i agree with Lynn.

ive made a 4 minute presentation that i need for an important meeting on monday. Im am also a paying pro costumer but feel that the product is oversold in terms off being a useful tool to make a quick pitch to illustrate new ideas etc.

i still waiting on the upload til sho so i can use the online link

im very disappointed with the product but hope this is a temporally state. Otherwise i want my money back

Jakob Greve

(As always, save your work file online and tell customer support the name of it if you want them to help you with the specific problems in your scribe.)

I think it is important to point out that videoscribe CAN be used to make great short and long whiteboard videos with a fairly simple workflow and no problems. However, I agree that it can pretty easily (intentionally or unintentionally) be caused to fail. Sparkol probably has the goal of making it more foolproof, and as users, we have the choices of learning to use it well or not learning to use it well in it's current state.

I would say that there is more of a learning curve than most people expect, and I think it is very easy for new users to immediately start doing things, that seem perfectly sensible, that result in freezing, crashing, or failure to render. Those problems are very frustrating for new users.

I think that users who spend a few days with the tutorials will pick up some (but maybe not enough) good habits (and the tutorials are GOOD, but many people don't want to go though a bunch of tutorials, or can't find them, or don't even consider the possibility that there are tutorials).  I also think the tutorials could be updated with annotations for clarification and to cover some common misconceptions and user questions. The INSTANT ANSWERS section is already a lot to digest, but it may not currently be enough to ensure users of a problem free videoscribe experience. Some of it needs to be enhanced with screenshots for clarity.

Maybe the website could be restructured in a way that would more successfully steer new users through a path of basic training so they can pick up the tricks and tips, good habits, and simple successful workflow that will allow more new users to make scribes without problems. Even if it were as good as it could possibly be, would users take advantage of it? I don't know.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

No question about the usefulness of the program to make grest pitches. Its easy to use but the time its take to upload online is not okey. That you have to wait 4-6 hours until a online link is active is in my book not very impressing Jakob
(rendering time is also affected by all of the memory hogging issues mentioned in the tips list)

Lynn, as Mike said it would be great to see your file. If it's taking that long to render there may be something in that file causing the delays. Most common things would be a large number of big .jpg, .png or .gif files being imported or extreme camera position zoom levels meaning the memory needed to create the video is much greater. 

If you are having to hide a lot of items it would suggest you are creating most of your video from one camera position. If this is causing you so much grief I would consider using more of the canvas and spreading your transitions out rather than layering them. You can set the camera position and transition time for each element so still make the transitions between scenes smooth.

Jakob, With the online upload to Sho.co if you hit the site at a busy time it may be queued and also it produces 4 versions of your video so you have the 3 different MP4 versions to download as well as the display version so can take a little while. Publishing locally and then uploading to YouTube may be a quicker option if you are in a rush. If you post your Sho.co upload link here I can check on it's progress for you if you are still having issues although I would imagine it is available now. 

I've had VideoScribe for over a year now, and have only recently been experiencing problems.  My video reaches under 30 seconds, and then stops uploading to a .WAV file.  It has happened the last 3 different videos I end up trying to upload.  It's very frustrating, and I wish this was a problem that would be fixed so I do not have to go through someone else to get a file. 

Hi,
Videoscribe does not offer an option to create a .WAV file. Did you mean WMV file?

Videoscribe works best if the images are optimized and the camera settings and zoom levels stay within a certain range. If your project is causing videoscribe to crash then you probably need to make some changes. If you want customer support to help you identify and fix the problems, then save your work to the cloud folder and tell them the name of it.

If you want help from me or other users here in the public forum, then save your project as a .scribe file and attach it here.

If you want to try to fix it yourself: TIPS to avoid crashes, freezes, failure to render or erratic behavior (2015)

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Rendering is a bit of a disaster (not) - it is a major disaster. A 2:48 video with max zoom at 90 and min at 43 to render in 1080 at 35 FPS as a .mov file should not take 212 minutes and then hang and crash. Except my logo all images are from the video scribe library

Pretty disappointing and most likely I will need to get something better. 

Hi,
About 30 minutes would be a good estimated rendering time for a video of that length if everything is set up pretty well, so I'm guessing there are problems that need to be addressed. Zoom percentage and image source are not the only issues to consider.

As mentioned several times, please save your scribe to the cloud folder and tell customer support the name of it if you would like their help (during UK business hours Monday through Friday).

Or you could save your project as a .scribe file and attach it here for help from the community.

newer version of the previous troubleshooting link: TIPS to avoid crashes, freezes, failure to render or erratic behavior (2015)

-Mike (videoscribe user)

have uploaded it on sho.co - it now says 429 minutes - never half an hour

blob1477012252144.png

Mike - I just removed the zoom (which was minor) from my logo at the start and the video is now rendering in 22 min !!! Videoscribe needs to publish a clear list with " these features in your scribe will slow up rendering" in descending order from "slow the most" to "slow the least" .

If this list exists - then please let me know where it is !

thanks

I just uploaded it to sho.co and then downloaded it as a 1080p video - was all of 17mb  in less than a min !!! I think this maybe a better route than rendering from the software ? Please explain any advantages to rendering from the software ? I can't think of any really - from Sho I can it download it as a mp4 too.

Customer support might have some answers for those questions.

Mike (videoscribe user)

Login to post a comment