Sparkol Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

VideoScribe Space

I got a new computer with a 200GB, SSD drive as my C drive.  Drive space can go quickly so I have to be careful.

I used my friendly drive sniffer to see what was eating up a lot of my pace on Drive C and  I was surprised to see how much space VideoScribe eats up under AppData - Roaming (see attached image with a screen shot).

Videoscribe takes up 14.6GB -- wow. Also it looks like 13.5GB is cache.

Can I clear out the cache? If I do will it cause performance issues with Video Scribe or other issues I'm not aware of?

To bad I can't move that cache some place else, like to my Drive D

Your feedback would be appreciated.

AGAIN, PLEASE SEE ATTACHED IMAGE WITH A SNIFFER SCREEN SHOT SHOWING HOW MUCH SPACE VIDEOSCRIBE EATS UP.

Thanks

The AppData/Roaming folder is the location of all the data you have saved within the application so will include all the scribes in your base folder and any imported fonts, images, audio, downloaded online images (recently used) etc. You've had a subscription for a fair few years and therefore I would imagine you have a lot of data in there. 

The caches folder within that should only include the base library images (so the SVG images from our library that are saved locally so you can access them offline) and not be anywhere near that size (mine is (40Mb). Looking at the image you sent through looks like there are some large video files and other things in there which would not normally be included so it looks like you may have rendered scribes to that area. I wouldn't delete it on mass as you may have something saved there that you need but you could work through the files and make a decision on what you want to keep and what you want to remove. If you do accidentally remove any base library images these will just restore when you next log-in. 

No, I didn't render any files to that area....I didn't even know it existed until I used software to sniff out what was eating my my drive space.

I have 2 drives:

Drive C is a 200GB SSD drive

Drive D is HDD drive 1 TB

I think the idea  is to use Drive C mostly for your operating system since SSD is much faster then HDD and use HDD for storage and programs.

When I create a scribe, I render them  to drive D so how all those files got on AppData -Roaming - was not because I rendered them there........why would anyone put  files in such a  place.

When i get such an answer it always upsets me because it feels like you are trying to put the blame on the user instead of it being a problem with videoscribe. Good god, all the problems we have had with videoscribe versions over the years the last place where blame should be placed is on the user.

Based on what you said above, it sounds like all the files with the .mov extension can be removed from this area....also.....did you.notice the names of the files are a number.mov.....I never have or never will render my videos with a number.mov name.

If you can be more specific on what I can keep, let me know.

I removed all the .mov files from cache. I thought cache was a temporary place and not a place to permanently store your files. I know adobe uses cache but clears it out when you exit

so why would videoscribe use cache as a place to permanently store files.

After I removed all the .mov files from cache the attached image shows what files are still left in cache (please see attached image).

Again, why can't you clear your cache in video scribe like you can with other programs. It doesn't make sense to me to use cache as a place to permanently store file and it can be cleared out when it gets too full.

SEE ATTACHED IMAGE

Dan,

Firstly sorry if my response sounded like an accusation and upset you. Was not meant that way at all. It's your computer and your files and it really makes no difference to us where you save your work. A decision to save on your C:/ in that folder would be just as valid as any other and the same goes for file names you can call your scribes anything you like. I was just guessing what had based on the information I had and was fully aware you may come back with something that proved my first guess wrong. 

As for how the information got in there to be honest I would not know. Can't categorically say that VideoScribe wasn't saving copies there for some freak reason. You have had a lot of versions of the software over the years and one of the versions may have had that bug in it at some point. But equally it's not an issue I've seen reported before or my colleagues have come across either.  

Suppose the main thing is we can safely say that if you delete anything VideoScribe needs to use from that folder it will automatically repopulate when you next log-in online. So with regards what you can keep and what you can delete you can decide that based on the content of each file and if it's any use to you. I can't tell you to delete it all as only you can open the files and see if you need them for anything personal. All I can say is the stuff VideoScribe needs will re-populate.

As for the cache clearance with other programs. In computing a cache is a local data store that is in place so future requests for that data can be served faster. We have chosen a select range of the Library images that are most popular to download locally to your machine so they load quicker for you. That's what's stored in that folder and as standard and they stay there to make sure they are available if you are working offline as well.

Hope that helps clear things up and apologies again

Barry

I am noticing a similar problem.  Even though I render a video scribe to drive G, it appears that Videoscribe first renders the video into the VideoScribeDesktop folder as output.dat on Drive C first and then copies the file to Drive G when finished.  (Maybe I am wrong.)  But I do know that when rendering a scribe out to 1920x1080 that is 10 minutes in length, the rendered file becomes too large for my Drive C and the program hangs, does not complete.  Is there someway to avoid this?  Also, I have noticed that when I save scribes on Drive G, the MP3 files for each scribe remains on Drive C, eating up the precious space on my 240 GB ssd.  Is there any workaround for these issues?  Thanks, Larry

Yes, I think that there are image files, audio files and video files as well as xml files and other things saved in subfolders of the videoscribedesktop folder. I have not messed around in there much, and I am not using the newest version of videoscribe which may be different in some ways.

I believe that there is no way to customize where videoscribe places its working data. The safest bet would probably be to simply manually delete video files from the folder(s) weekly or monthly. I cannot comment on whether any other types of files might be safe to delete.

Keep in mind that if you delete images or audio files, then you might no longer be able to open and edit locally saved scribes associated with those files. If you strictly save your work to the cloud or as .scribe files, then you might accumulate less data in your local folders, and deleting local files may be less likely to cause problems.

Sorry I don't have more concrete suggestions.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Any images and audio used in a scribe will be saved locally in the AppData folder. These are needed by the application when you edit the scribe. When you render the scribe as a video file those images and audio are embedded in the file but the originals remain in the VideoScribe AppData folder for when that scribe is loaded up again for editing. 

If you save the scribe to your online directory the image and audio files are packaged up in the online scribe. The audio files can be deleted from the AppData folder but the locally saved version of the scribe that uses that audio will not be able to access it, so the online version would need to be loaded. When you load the scribe from the online directory the audio file will be saved back into the AppData folder.

Hi Admin, I am unable to save a new project on my computer as well as unable to open a scribe project that was created earlier and not able to download it.

Error.mp4 Error.mp4
5.97 MB

Nidhi, please raise a support ticket and one of the team can take a closer look, As well as the video, if you can include the version of VideoScribe you are using and the version of MacOS in the details that would be great.

Thanks, Barry for your suggestion. I have got the solution for my issue by following the steps in ticket 461695365. Have a nice day.

Login to post a comment