Sparkol Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

Object size and position on canvas

I'd really like to see some kind of bounding box on the zoomed-out canvas (in which all the objects are displayed) which shows us how each of the objects sits within their respective frame, and also to assist in determining the movement track between each new "frame".  It's really frustrating making changes to the Scribe - ie: moving objects relative to each other, etc, within a frame or making changes to the track between one frame and a new one.

As someone who's used non-linear video editing tools for almost 20 years (and linear tape editing before that!) I can't get used to the idea of not having direct, simple control over the relationship between one group of objects and another. I also find the Zoom controls confusing - am I simply zooming in to inspect detail more closely or am I affecting the actual frame size within the canvas itself? In full zoomed-out canvas view I discover that some groups of objects are massively large and others are very small. This affects the render quality of the final output, too, much to my dismay. On attempting to correct this, I got into a terrible mess on my most recent (rush-job) project and decided to simply start from scratch.

I've also found that for best control I've been exporting a full-res 1920x1080p Quicktime file out and undertaking finishing work in either Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro X.

2 people like this idea

Hi Colin, 

I will add post to the Ideas and feature request section.

We do have documentation related to zoom which can be found here - http://help.videoscribe.co/support/solutions/articles/1000033728

We also have video and documented tutorials which goes through how to work with Zoom.

Here is a link to that specific Video tutorial - http://help.videoscribe.co/support/solutions/articles/1000069689

Here is the link for the worksheets in PDF format

Thanks, Joe

Thanks Joe. I'll have a closer look when I have a minute. Cheers Colin
Colin; rather than reiterate your carefully articulated concerns above, I agree With every concern you have....I dont have your graphics background at all And I am terribly confused about every one of the good points you have made. I Have yet to find a tutorial that clearly and simply breaks down the very clear Points you made above. The official video scribe tutorials blow thru the "canvas" way to fast, on the surface Every point you made above was clear and concise. I am a pianist whom happens to have 3 certifications in FCPX , and I too find myself loading .mov projects in Final Cut to finish them... I am looking forward to studying the information suggested by Joe Clarke from Videoscribe. A well written critique Colin. Ken

My workaround was to create a box that perfectly fits the 100% size of the canvas and copy that box for each frame I intend to create.  Then, line them up vertically like a filmstrip.  This way, I know that all of my features fit in the same canvas area; but, in different canvas locations. 

It's a bit of a pain; but, seems to help.

Tom;

Thanks for your creative idea.....  What do you use to create this "Box" ?

i AM GETTING  clearer on understanding how the :

* Canvas Works
* Why the Camera View is important to "adjust"

* And generally make things work the way I want them to.

Thanks

KB

hello, i got a problem with zoom level of my scribe video. had to break the file into several parts to make it easier to navigate within and edit. the idea was the next part starts positionally at the same place where the previous ends. in the process of  work i found out the parts do not correspond with each other any more. (as the new video starts the objects "jump" to a different position on the canvas and zoom level). i know i probably did smth wrong in the process, but is there any chance to make them fit together again? and can i set a specific zoom level for all the videos, if its not initially 100%?
files attached, thanks in advance

you guys do not quite rush to help confused customers, do you? )) never mind, problem solved by creating "bounding box" for the canvas, Tom Meeks, thanks for piece of advise. STILL had to resize all objects one by one. here some things i really missed during the process:
1. setting zoom level manually
2. scaling up\down from the corner of an object, not center
3. when scaling several objects at once they should keep their relative position

4. desperately need an option to hide several selected objects in one click
5 some kind of group\sceene option required, when video 30 sec+ its a nightmare to navigate within

6 why an object always lies on top of the previous ones? in some cases this feature makes preparing graphics and positioning objects really time-consuming.
other than that pretty bright & promising app, just need to add some time-tested options, i guess

100% Button

The simplest solution would seem to be to add a button that snaps the view to 100%.

But, interestingly, even though I try to set the view to 1005 for each scene, when I bring the project in later it can set that same scene at some other zoom value.  That is more than a little confusing.

"Had to break the file into several parts to make it easier to navigate within and edit"

This is something that I wish was taken more seriously by the management rather than their quest for new apps, etc.  We are here.  We WANT to use Sparkol.  It has some very nice features.  But, our time is valuable and having to break up a presentation due to sluggish performance when a scribe gets to a certain size is not a good use of our time.

Tom;

I agree with you completely....  The SPARKOL tutorials go fast, and the 
well meaning people who do them, are not covering the :

#1.) Primary/Fundamental characteristics of the Canvas

#2.) Especially the ones where our creative efforts get slammed to the ground, because of ZOOM 

and it's seeming unpredictability.

#3.) YES the program has the best features of all of them, but the capacity to get consistent 
Image sizes, ZOOM sizes, and a controllable Canvas "EVERYTIME" has not been broken down

yet into manageable steps/bites/ or usable information.

Onward..

KB

Guys, we have done quite a bit of work on zoom in the recent releases as we know it can cause some problems. The first bit of recent work was in VideoScribe 2.3.1 where zoom resets to 100% if you delete the contents of you canvas. Then in in the latest version (2.3.4) the canvas zoom level is now always shown in the bottom left corner and you can now manually enter the zoom level you want to use. Just click on the zoom level and type in % you want.

We are also looking to put a grid into a future version and this is currently being worked on at the moment to aid with sizing and positioning you elements and scenes

Yulia with your other suggestions most of those have their own thread so you can search for those and lend them your support and vote (like the first post). Those likes really are important and our development team and product owner always review the most liked post while deciding what to work on next. Anything that does not have it's own thread please create separately so it can be voted on as this post is for canvas position.

Thanks Barry/

One of the problems with being a long-time user is that we can miss improvements like the ones you pointed out.  Knowing that we can enter the zoom level manually is VERY helpful.

Is 100% optimal in terms of memory and performance management?  Or, is there a window where memory is most optimized and performance least affected.

Thanks,

Tom

The closer to 100% you can get the better, especially if you are combining high zoom with a high image import quality, large JPG/PNG/GIF import and/or a morph effect and they build up together to take up a lot of RAM. For SVGs imported in the default quality under 200KB (all library images are this) then a window of 10%-100% should work just fine.

http://blog.videoscribe.co/ will always have the release notes for the new versions and we are also linking support tickets and forum posts to our development stories now so we will be updating the relevant customers when the things they wanted added/fixed are released in a new version of the software. 

why the canavs size is changing automatically ,even I  fit to 100% size ,the size of the canvas is changed in next scene . How I can fit the size  as same for whole scene.?

Any time you wish to manually assign a specific camera position and/or zoom percentage for a currently selected element, click the SET CAMERA icon in the lower right corner of the screen.  If you never set the camera manually, videoscribe assigns each element a default camera position and zoom percentage that you might not like

For example:
if you have the zoom at 100%... and you add a new image and you want the zoom to remain at 100% for that image...
then, with the image still selected, and the zoom still at 100%, click the SET CAMERA icon in the lower right corner to save THAT camera position and that zoom setting for that particular image.

As a general rule I immediately click SET CAMERA after I import each element, before I do anything else. That's not necessarily the only right way to work, but it works for me: 
CAMERA SETTING TIPS for Videoscribe version 2 (2015)

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Login to post a comment