Sparkol Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

New Videoscribe Video Quality Is LOWER?

In the old videoscribe.. like the one before the update last month, when I rendered my video, it was superb quality! The file size was a bit larger.. around 900MB for a 5 minute video (720p, 30fps,mov), but since the update, the file size is like 120MB, and quality is WAYY lower, I can see the pixels around the text (which wasn't there during the Videoscribe preview, only after creating the video).

Is there any way to work around this?

I notice there is a new setting in the homescreen that allows us to set default picture sizes.. I made it 2400, because when I make it the maximum, it crashes VERY often (the images disappear, turn into a blue box in the timeline, and unable to save)

It still crashes very frequently at 2400 the longer the video goes on for, but my workaround is just to create two 2.5 minute videos and then connecting them with adobe afterwards, but my main questions is how I can get the quality back.

I don't really care if it takes 45minutes to render a 5 minute video (like before) instead of 10 minutes now.. I just want the quality back.

Thanks, if anyone knows the answer :))

-Jason

Hi,
Is it the exact same project file that was better in the old version and worse in the new version with a smaller file size? Or is it just 2 different projects that are both about the same length? Is it the same words in the same font and the same size that looked worse in the new version? Some fonts just look pixelated at large sizes.

As a test, you could find an old project that you rendered in the old version and render it again with a new file name at the same dimensions and the same file format with the new version... and compare the videos.

If you are sure the problem is the new version of videoscribe then uninstall it and reinstall the old one. (Although a regular uninstall should not affect your work files in any way, I'd still suggest that you back up all of your files online or as .scribe files or both) .

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Follow up post:
If there have been changes to videoscribe that affect the image quality, they may not be in the rendering stage. For example, the automatic sizing of imported SVG images is now handled differently and some images may import smaller/blurrier as a result.

To test the render quality, I found a (quicktime) video rendered in an older version (size 454MB)

and I re-rendered it today in version 2.3.7 (size 435 MB)

The file sizes are close but not equal. Its possible that the old one was rendered at 1000 quality setting. The new one was rendered at 900, and that might account for the slight difference. There might be other variables that I have not considered.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Thanks Mike.

I did some more testing, and yup, it's definitely not in the rendering stage. But somehow, the images that are imported into videoscribe are imported at a lower quality. I think it's because the old default import setting was maybe set at the maximum (4000 pixels) in the settings. However, 4000 or any of the high resolution imports don't work as well in the new videoscribe, the images disappear very often and turns into a blue and crashes.

I found a solution now though :)... well, a workaround. I just render it at 1080p instead of 720p and it ends up being a better quality than the old videoscribe at 720p, so I'm happy.

It would be nice to find a solution for the blue crash problem though. I find it only happens when there is a large project file, so the longer the video goes on for. It never crashes in a 2 minute video. The crashes happen sometimes in a 3 minute, and crashes VERY frequently past 5 minutes. The duration isn't the same for everyone since it depends on how big the animation files are, but just an example to show that it crashes more often as the project file gets bigger. It crashes even within a minute for me if I made the import picture quality the maximum (4000 pixels). The 3minute, 5 minute example was when I set it to 2400 pixels.

But yeah, everything is good now :) It would be nice if there was a workaround for the blue crash though. I included a screenshot of the blue crash if anyone has a similar problem and wants to verify.

Thanks,
Jason!

Thumbnails disappearing in the timeline, and freezing or crashing of the program are probably symptoms of videoscribe getting close to or exceeding the memory limit (about 1.7 GB). High image size/quality settings are a big factor, along with image file sizes. And very high or low zoom percentages.

Yes I am pretty sure images, especially wide images as opposed to tall ones, are being imported smaller and blurrier in version 2.3.7.
More details about that in my May 26 reply in the following thread: Making SVG Images Draw Well (2017 update)

I'm considering reverting to the previous version of videoscribe to avoid needing to bump up the image quality setting, but I'll probably do some more testing first.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Hi Jason,

If you'd like us to take a look at the scribe (or one of the scribes) with the issue, please save a copy to your online directory and let us know the name.

Login to post a comment