Sparkol Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

Shutterstock Images

I bought a subscription to Shutterstock so I could have more vector images.  They downloaded as EPS ... when i converted them to svg, they became tiny and couldn't be enlarged without resolution sacrifice.  Is there anything I can do?  

Please upload an example here for specific feedback.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Here is an example of a file i downloaded from shutterstock as an eps (i had no option) and then used an on line converter to turn it into a svg.... but it's tiny!  Thanks so much for your quick response!

Hi,

The most likely cause of the problem is the clipping path/clipping mask.
The SVG also has dozens of extra layers which could be deleted.

If your converter has any options to simplify the image or to ignore everything but regular paths and fills, that would probably help.

You could install inkscape (free at inkscape.org) if you want to try just opening the EPS in inkscape and saving it as an SVG. You might get a better result or a smaller file size. I'm not very familiar with inkscape, so i don't know if you can easily use it to remove the clipping mask from images that you download.

Other users or customer support may be able to provide additional suggestions.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

The dozens of extra layers are probably the result of the way the converter handles gradients by making each shade of color a separate layer.

if you have adobe illustrator, you can just view all the layers and delete the clipping path and any other ones you don't want.

It may be similar in inkscape but I'm not sure if inkscape allows you to view the layers

-Mike (videoscribe user)

One more thing: I believe that the specific reason the image is tiny is because videoscribe doesn't really understand clipping paths so videoscribe interprets the clipping path as a big invisible shape surrounding the visible part of the image. Then it scales the image down to make the big invisible shape fit on the canvas.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Login to post a comment