Sparkol Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

adding an image without videoscribe converting it to a line drawing

Hi! How do you add your own image without videoscribe converting it to a line drawing?

2 people have this question
one way is to choose "move-in" instead of "draw" as shown in this screenshot:

If you are going to use the DRAW setting, when importing, the bottom middle "drawing style" option (on the image import screen, NOT on the options menu shown above) will preserve the normal appearance of your imported image after it is drawn in version 2.0.1.

Also you can set the animation time to zero if you want the image to appear instantly, or you can change the hand to "no hand" of you want something to move in without a hand.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

I've got the exact same problem here. As soon as I try to import a PNG, VideoScribe proposes me different ways to draw the lines. There is no way to ask "bring it as it is"n without drawing. You can do it afterwards in the image properties but the quality is already lowered by the first "line drawing" operation.

Is there a way to avoid that ?

Hi Etienne,

The bottom middle "drawing style" option will preserve the normal appearance of your imported image after it is drawn in version 2.0.1.

You can set the animation time to zero if you want the image to appear instantly instead of being drawn.
You can use "move in" instead of draw to animate the image, and you can change the hand to "no hand" if you want something to move in without a hand.

If your image quality is suffering, then you may need to prepare your image differently, resize it , or use a different quality/size setting when you import it. Using oversized images that you have to scale down is one of the things that can cause a grainy or pixelated appearance.If your quality setting is 800 (for example) and you import images that are 800 pixels wide, you may get better results.

To increase the size/quality of imported images in version 2.0.1, close all scribes and click the gear/cog icon in the lower right corner. Then adjust the bottom value: "default image quality" from 400 to a higher number.

(Request to Sparkol: Version 1 provided the option to change the quality/size setting for each image individually at the time of import (in addition to the global default setting). Please bring that option back or explain if that feature still exists in some new form)

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Thanks for your suggestions but I would love to bring in an image in its original quality without it being redrawn. Is there any way to do this?

Amy

-Choose the lower middle option

-set the draw time to zero for them to appear

OR

-choose 'move in' to move the image in from off screen

If you're thinking of something else, please explain! :)

What I want to know is this (and I think this is what other users like Amy are asking)

When I try to import a non-line-drawing image, like a jpg or a png, into Videoscribe from my computer, I cannot do it without Videoscribe converting the image to a line drawing, thereby rendering the graphic UNUSABLE. 

Previously, I could import any kind of image without this happening. It's really annoying. Can you help?

I agree that the new UI is less user friendly and has lost some of the features in version 1, but as I wrote before, these options will show the imported image without drawing it even though it may seem like you are preparing the image to be drawn:

"The bottom middle "drawing style" option will preserve the normal appearance of your imported image in version 2.0.1.

You can set the animation time to zero if you want the image to appear instantly instead of being drawn.

You can use "move in"  instead of draw to animate the image, and you can change the hand to "no hand" if you want something to move in without a hand.

To increase the size/quality of imported images in version 2.0.1, close all scribes and click the gear/cog icon in the lower right corner. Then adjust the bottom value: "default image quality" from 400 to a higher number."

-Mike (videoscribe user)

There is more to it than the fact that it is very confusing to have to determine whether a jpg or png file will work without converting as a line drawing and having to go through extra steps is just plain unfriendly.

The other issue is that now when I try to import .jpg images VideoScribes adds a freaking background to them as if they were on a separate sheet of paper - and I cannot get rid of it. It's not an option! Who thought this would be a good idea? I even tried white on white and got a grey paper background!

Hi Bart,

I think you are using the bottom right option when you are importing your jpg file - this option does do that. 

If you try the bottom middle option you will not get the background.

Andy

It would be helpful if you would put an indicator on the image above that shows us what you mean by the "bottom middle".  Thanks.

The screenshot above is the image properties screen which is not the one with the 6 style options that we were discussing.

The screen that appears when you import a JPG or PNG says ""convert to  line drawing" (or something similar) at the top and it has 6 style options. The screen is shown briefly at 5:55 in this tutorial: http://help.videoscribe.co/support/solutions/articles/1000069689-videoscribe-v2-tutorial-2-tuning-your-scribe-

and you may find more about it in other tutorials.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Like anything new it takes time to  understand it, but by reading through the above I believe it a fairly easy process once you have grabbed the various steps.

I have never had a software frustrate me so much, in so little time.

Having a 4 hour video to listen to, to find a 4 second reference to a setting that's obscure, is not how to make customers happy. Long videos are great for product overviews but need to be short and to the point when used for tutorials. Direct questions need direct answers. 

You continually hide settings in obscure locations, rather that placing them in the . . . i don't know, "Settings" area. The moment a software brings in an image, it should either make the decision for you  or give you the option. I.e. if it's not an SVG, bring it in automatically as a JPG etc, using the "bottom middle" choice. Companies want to use their logos and photos without having them destroyed on impact.

The check box for zooming the animation should not be while the video is playing, because users spend hours looking for the check box in the menu, settings area, and on the software interface. 

If you insist on keeping these items intact in their current locations, then there should be multiple opportunities/locations for the customer to perform those features.
Quick quiz:  how many different ways are there to "copy"  in Microsoft Word?

Regards

Rodney Frost
Frustrated customer.

Agreed. It's frustrating and there are things that ought to be intuitive but are not.

Login to post a comment