Sparkol Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

Multi-Select - Move Along Timeline (RR-931)

Please add the ability to select multiple elements, and move them all in along the timeline.

12 people like this idea
I am presuming this is the same feature as I want (not in 2.1.1) - is it?

I want to select all, copy, move to a blank canvas area then paste.

When I paste, the copies are still on top of the original and only 1 is selected - so there is no way to move all of the previously selected as a group to a new canvas area.

What is the point of select all, if the copies cannot be easily moved?

Am I looking for the same feature or am I using Select, Copy, Paste incorrectly?

I have worked out that it is possible to reselect all of the copied elements in the timeline and drag to new position - but it would be much nicer to paste as described above.

Yes I totally agree. Plus it would be nice if there was a way to group the object too.

It would be even nicer if the pasted items retained their original animation settings. Right now all items revert to "Draw" animation, even if set to "Move".

As of 2.3.7, multiple items still can not be dragged to a new position in the timeline (though they can on the canvas, as noted above). 

As of 3.1.x, multiple items still cannot be selected and moved in the timeline. How is this editing feature still missing after 4 years?

We have been discussing this feature with the VideoScribe project owner and they have raised a few questions about the requirements.

Mainly surrounding multiple selection of non consecutive elements (i.e selecting elements that are not next to each other in the timeline).

They would like some feedback about how people think this should work.

Would only selected elements that are next to each other in the timeline be available to be moved or would it be possible to move elements together from anywhere in the timeline?

If multiple non-consecutive elements are able to be selected; how would they behave when 'picked up'? Would they all be placed together when dropped or would their spacing be retained?

Good questions.

I don't think multiple selection of non-consecutive elements is critical. For scribes with complex timing, it MIGHT be useful... but for the bulk of cases, consecutive elements are probably the biggest need. That is, items that are animating sequentially or on the same "page" or "screen," will likely be consecutive anyway.

If non-consecutive items are picked up and placed somewhere else, it would seem impossible to maintain the spacing? All the stuff between them would be left behind?

Thanks for looking into this!

Thanks Rod. Yes, that all makes sense.  I have passed this onto the VideoScribe project manager. There have been some discussions around this and they have decided that they will first make it so that pasted elements do not revert their animate method back to draw. This would then allow for elements to be moved in bulk in the timeline using cut and paste.

Did this ever get done or added to the roadmap? This is a really old thread so I'm hoping so.   That feature would be hugely beneficial to me. 

Login to post a comment