Sparkol Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

New Forum features: Pros and Cons and requests

1) feature request: bring back the pro, edu,and videoscribe support icons! I miss the icons that indicate if a user is  a trial member, a pro member, an edu member or a sparkol employee. They can be very useful in diagnosing some types of problems. or determing what features a person can access.

2) feature request: I miss having a way to indicate if a question has been successfully answered.

3) feature request: (EDITED for clarity:) maybe add a generic icon for attached SVG images in threads. The icon for attached  SVG images (not images embedded in the message) is... no image, just a small square with alt text that overlaps the file name so you cannot easily read either one. (An icon DOES show up for PDF attachments and JPG attachments, but not for SVG attachments. I'm not sure about other file types.)

On the PLUS side:

4) the ability to edit all replies is nice! It is probably a good idea to list all replies in order, as the old system of answers and comments sometimes ended up out of order.

5) Also I love that our notification emails now include the new reply text!

6) Overall, the colors and style of the new Site seem more clean and modern.

7) the search function now seems to search the whole thread instead of just keywords or title or whatever the old search used. Nice!

Thanks for the feedback Mike.

1) The icons aren't possible on our new support system I'm afraid. Might be in the future.

2) Nor is the answered indicator - although this feature was rather erratically used on the old site anyway.

3) Good spot on the SVG attachment image. This is a bug which we've raised with our support system provider. 

Hi!

After using the forums for a  few more weeks, I decided to post a follow-up message:

If my usual "yay videoscribe!" posts ever get on anyone's nerves, then those people may enjoy this grumpy post about the new website which I feel is a step backward from the old website.

The new website looks more modern and I like the new colors...  but it is a little less user friendly, a little more cluttered, and a little more frustrating to use than the old website in various ways.

1) NAVIGATION:  On the videoscribe.co site, some navigation is at the top, some is at the bottom, some is sprinkled throughout long scrolling pages. Maybe put all the navigation at the top. If you want to put a copy at the bottom too, that's fine.  Maybe use popout menus for the sub-navigation if you only want to display the primary navigation. On the sparkol website, it would be nice to have a videoscribe link at the top (or high enough that I don't have to scroll to find it.)

2) WORDING: "We’ve put cookies on your computer and assume that’s ok." is awkwardly and somewhat disturbingly worded". Some of the help navigation categories like "instant answers" instead of "FAQ" or "Frequently Asked Questions" make the site more confusing (Maybe there are colloquial phrases with which I am not familiar?)  This may not be a big deal, but I think some users have a hard time figuring out what to click to find their answers.

3) OVERALL EASE OF USE:  Scattered, cluttered, repetitious... Some posts appear in several places on several pages sorted in different ways... cluttering up the site. The main help page is frustrating like a popup ad saying: "we have a help section.... but before we let you see it, we want you to scroll through this page that probably doesn't contain what you are looking for." A short clean list of help categories (links) with the staff photos at the top would be much better) Once I arrive at the instant answers page, I just want to see all the categories. Personally, I don't find "trending" or "common" posts at the top to be useful . They are just two more things that I have to scroll past. There are plenty of threads that do not apply to my question or problem. If some of them appear in four or more places on the site, it is just more clutter that I have to wade through. Please de-clutter.

4) The darn new message boxes that cannot be resized (width or height). resizing would allow me to type or preview my post more easily. EDIT: now the height of the tex boxes can be adjusted so that is a nice improvement. Thanks

5) The loss of the icons to differentiate pro, trial, and edu users is a step backward.

6) The loss of the "this post has been edited" note on edited posts is a step backward.

7) Sometimes when I copy and paste text from one post to another, or even within the same post, (for example, compare the first and second sentence in this post), the font or font size changes and there is not way to easily change it back. Sometimes when I copy and paste, the page scrolls immediately down to the footer for some reason... and inserts a line break before the pasted text...

None of these things "break" the site for me.. but I enjoyed posting on the old site more.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Thanks Mike. Your feedback is helpful. We're doing a fresh round of user testing at the moment and we'll add your findings to the list.

Some things are restrictions within the new support system. The system gives us many more options, such as ticketing, but there are also some constraints. We're working on improving it.

Other things, in the content, are deliberate, designed especially to help new customers. I appreciate that they might take some getting used to.

All of our websites will continue to evolve and improve as we test and log feedback. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Thanks for the reply! Keep up the good work.

Please pay attention to Mike's point here: 

The main help page is frustrating like a popup ad saying: "we have a help section.... but before we let you see it, we want you to scroll through this page that probably doesn't contain what you are looking for." A short clean list of help categories (links) with the staff photos at the top would be much better) 

When a user clicks "HELP", he expects "HELP" not photos of staff (which are not clickable and not helpful). A HELP home page should immediately present HELP. 

Thanks Dave. The help page is geared towards providing new customers with an overview of the help that is available - from tutorials and training to FAQs and blog posts. More seasoned scribers may find it more useful to bookmark Instant Answers or the Community as a place to start.

How do we get notified via email when a response is made to our "followed" posts?

I have not received an email yet.

Also, how do we see a list of all our posts or that we are following, etc/

1) make sure you are checking the email that you used to create your videoscribe account. You may not have used your "main" email account.
2) check your junk mail folder or spam folder
3) if you use any spam blockers or sender verification apps... change the settings to allow emails from sparkol.com

about mailing preferences: http://help.videoscribe.co/support/solutions/articles/1000036978-change-mailing?_ga=1.83740950.1286310715.1398874237

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Thanks Mike!

Also, how do we see a list of all our posts or that we are following, etc?

TIA

Login to post a comment