Sparkol Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

Where are scribes saved on my computer?

QUESTION: Where are scribes saved locally on my computer? Can I access them, share them or back them up?

ANSWERS:

For videoscribe version2 on macs they are in \Macintosh HD\Users\[your username]\Library\Application Support\VideoScribeDesktop/Local Store

for videoscribe version1 On Macs they are in \Macintosh HD\Users\[your username]\Library\Preferences\VideoScribeDesktop\Local Store

and on PCs they are in C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\VideoScribeDesktop\Local Store

Locally saved scribes are not in a format that can be easily found or used in any way other than loading them in Videoscribe. If you need to backup your files, it is recommended that you always save a copy onine as well as saving locally. You can also export standalone scribe files to a file name and location of your choice on your computer to be included in an automated backup. or you can set your automated backup to backup the paths listed above.

videoscribe version2:  To export a stand-alone scribe file in version 2.0, when saving you click the icon that looks like a diskette and a USB drive. to save online, click the cloud icon.

videoscribe version1: close all scribes and then right-click (control+click for Mac) the thumbnail images of the scribes and choose "export to file", to save a portable copy of a scribe in the location of your choice. When you export, the file will be named in this format: <filename that you choose>.scribe

right-click and choose "save a copy online" to save a copy online.

(This answer was written for VideoScribe version 1.3.26 and 2.0, but may also apply to other versions.)

related links:

All version 2 tutorials
All version 2 worksheets (PDF)

-Mike (videoscribe user)

For the instant answer on this topic, please see this link - http://help.videoscribe.co/support/solutions/articles/1000033741-import-and-export

Why can't you set the default storage folder on Windows to be in the "Videos" catalog as a sub-folder? That way I don't have to copy, move, save as, etc. for Carbonite to back it up.

Hi Bart,

Your scribes are saved in the AppData/Library folders because they are designed to be accessed by the VideoScribe program, and editing and accessing them manually may end up causing stability issues. If you want to back up your scribes, you could always save them in your online folder in VideoScribe. Then you will be able to access them from wherever you are.

You can STILL make them accessible to us via VideoScribe in a folder of our choosing.

Since I asked this question originally one of my scribes - several of my scribes - have gone missing. Tehy are NOT in the VS folder or anywhere on my hard drive. What pisses me off is that we, your clients, ask nicely and gave you the reason and that reason has come to pass. They are GONE and no, they were not where backup software looks for them - in My Documents.

Hi Bart,

Sorry you have lost your files. There are 3 ways as you know you can save your .scribe files which are not videos.

You can save them online to the cloud, you can save them to the local directory or you can elect to export them as .scribe files to your local directory.

If you have lost them, please raise a support ticket detailing which options you chose for your saves and we can investigate the issue for you.

Comments to this discussion are now closed!